Call us on +33 2 97 847 800
From yestael, or old Breton iost-hastel: just and noble.
Gestel could also come from the Breton guestel (deer gite).
Gestel, with a surface area of 625 ha, and 2 582 inhabitants is a mini green paradise. Its woods, parks (including the Domaine du Lain representing landscaping from the end of the 19th century) and conservation areas (including the Etang du Verger with a rich flora and birdlife) can be discovered along its pathways.
- Domaine du Lain: a former noble estate of 23 hectares, it was bought by Lorient Agglomération in 1995. The central manor in ruins dates from the end of the 19th century.
- The landscaped gardens were laid out in 1870/1880.
- Chapelle Notre-Dame de Kergonet (15th-20th century): the facade is special with its two bas-reliefs representing fantastic animals.
- Chapelle Sainte-Flamine (19th-20th century). The granite and cement chapel, rebuilt after the war, was originally in the Roman style.
- Le Verger lake covers 6 hectares. This is a protected area, surrounded by a path 3.2 km long.
- The flower festival on 1st May in the parc du Lain.
- A huge flea market is held on the last Sunday in May in the parc du Lain. Almost 10 000 people come every year.
- All the festivities and events in Gestel
Fancy a stay? Find accommodation in Gestel.
Your are looking for a shop or a service ?