Call us on +33 2 97 847 800
In 1618, this fort became a royal town of the name Port-Louis in honour of Louis XIII
Port-Louis, a Breton city of art is located at the mouth of the bay of Lorient, on the left bank of the Blavet river, opposite Lorient, with a view of the nearby island of Groix. The flagship of the Compagnie des Indes, the town is nestled in its 17th century walls - a small seaside resort with its ports, beaches and boating clubs. The Citadel and its museums of the Compagnie des Indes and Marine are well-known, but this is also a fortified town that has kept a jealous guard over its past. There is a tourist circuit so you can appreciate all its assets. To date, Port-Louis has 2 806 inhabitants known as Port-Louisiens. It is the smallest commune in the greater Lorient area with 107 hectares.
- The citadel, remarkably preserved, built from 1591 under the leadership of Cristobal de Rojas, offers a wonderful view of the bay of Lorient from the top of its walls
- The Lohic promenade, opposite Gâvres, gives a great panoramic view over the bay of Lorient.
- The museum of the Compagnie des Indes, located in the citadel, evokes the links that unite Lorient's history with that of the various French India companies in the 17th and 18th centuries.
- The national Marine museum, located in the citadel, houses the lifeboat room, the arsenal and the powder room, and a recent collection concerning maritime exchanges from the China Sea to the Atlantic Ocean and sea rescue.
- The large munitions warehouse was built in the 18th century. It housed the Navy's powder and munitions.
- The smaller munitions house, built in 1817, today houses a 1/500 scale model of the town made by the historical department.
- The Récollets washhouse contains a drinking trough for horses.
- The church of Notre-Dame de l'Assomption (17th century)
- The chapel of Saint-Pierre (16th century, rebuilt in 1859)
Fancy a stay? Find accommodation in Port-Louis
Your are looking for a shop or a service ?